Keeping in mind the criteria laid down by UGC as per XIth Plan guideline where UGC encourage the teaching courses to build strong academic base institutionally for Women’s Studies, the Centre has started Refresher Courses on Women’s Studies and Short term Certificate Courses on Women’s Issues during XIth Plan Period.
Following are the details of teaching courses conducted during the year 2013-14:
- Refresher Course-The Centre for Women’s Studies, University of North Bengal, in collaboration with the UGC Academic Staff College, organized a Refresher Course on May 2nd- 22nd ,2013. The theme of the Course was Women & Social Justice.
- Short Term Courses-The Centre for Women’s Studies, University of North Bengal organized a 7 days Certificate Course on Women’s Studies from 18th -24th March, 2014.
- Adolescence Counseling Programme:
Adolescence Counseling for the hostel residents of Nivedita Girl’s Hostel was held in collaboration with St. John’s Ambulance, Siliguri on 16th February, 2014 & 0n 1st March 2014 at Rani Bhawani Hostel.
- Hands on Training on Book binding: A hands on training on book binding programme was undertaken on 22 – 23 February, 2014 in the Centre for Women’s Studies, University of North Bengal. The target group were ladies who had studied till Class X and who were willing to learn book binding as a additional source of livelihood for the family.
- Computer Awareness and Literacy Programme: Computer Awareness and Literacy Programme was held on 22-23rd February, 2014 in the CRSA, University of North Bengal by CWS, NBU. The target group were girls who had completed Class X. 21 girls from villages adjoining the University .
- Certificate course on GEOINFORMATIC: The Centre for the Women’s Studies, University of North Bengal in collaboration with Indian National Cartographic Association, Kolkata Branch has organized a two days Workshop on Geoinformatics on 20-21 March, 2014 at the GIS Laboratory, Department of Geography and Applied Geography, University of North Bengal. M. Phil and Ph. D. scholars and teachers from schools and colleges have taken part in the course .
4 Minor Projects funded by CWS in last year continued for final drafting and publication inform of monograph.
- Project-1-Barriers To Accessing Justice By Women: A Study Of Atharkhai Gram Panchyat-Principal Investigator: Prof.Gangotri Chakravarty,Department Of Law,University Of North Bengal
- Project-2-Socio-Economic Development Of Women In Panchayati Raj: A Case Study Of Atharkhai Gram Panchayat And Matigara Block - Principal Investigator: Dahlia Bhattacharya,Asst.Professor,Department Of History,University Of North Bengal
- Project-3-Colonising The Body- The Indian And The Eurasian Women Of Provincial Bengal -Principal Investigator: Varun Kumar Roy, Assistant Professor, Department Of History ,Nbu
- Project-4-Gender Atlas Of West Bengal-Principal Investigator-Dr.Sushma Rohatgi, Director,Centre For Women’s Studies, NBU
International Women’s Day: The Centre for Women’s Studies has organized the International Women’s Day on 8th March in collaboration with Department of Life Long Learning & Extension, University of North Bengal.
Poster Competition was organized by CWS on 30th March 2014 for the P.G students of North Bengal University on the Theme “Changing Status of Women in India: Dimensions and Concerns” .
To create awareness and interest amongst the college students under the jurisdiction of North Bengal University has been organized. The topic of the Essay competition was “ How safe are Indian Women in India?” in four languages viz. English,Bengali, Hindi and Nepali.Prizes and certificates were given to best and second best essay.
Special Lecture Series
A Special Lecture on Status of Women in Indian Tradition was organized by the Centre Professor Raghunath Ghosh, Director, UGC Academic Staff College,NBU delivered the lecture..
Special lecture by Dr.P Chettri On Women & Health,Dr. Chettri is administrator, journalist and Homeopathic doctor.
Special lecture by Professor Gangotri Chakraborty from Law Department spoke on legal rights of women and problem of implementation of law.
The Centre for Women’s Studies, University of North Bengal, organized a National Seminar on Changing Status of Women in India: Dimensions and Concerns on 29-30 March, 2014
Journal of Women’s Studies Vol-V – No-1 ,2014 –ISSN -2320-3625 ( ISSN number received on Jan 22,2013)
Changing Status of Women in India: Dimensions and Concerns edt.Dr.S.Rohatgi .
As of 31st March, 2014, the following members constitute the existing manpower at the Centre for Women’s Studies:
Honorary Director: Dr. Sushma Rohatgi.
Project Officer: Dr. Beethika Moni Dutta (on contractual basis)
Peon: Shri Asit Singha (on contractual basis)
Besides Advisory Committee of CWS constituted by NBU.The following teachers and Officers are the members of the Advisory committee take parts in all the activities of CWS:
Prof. Bonita Aleaz, Department of Political Science, Calcutta University;
Prof. Raghunath Ghosh, Department of Philosophy, NBU,
Prof. S. R. Mandal, Centre for Himalayan Studies, Centre for Himalayan Studies, NBU,
Dr. Maya Ghosh, Department of Political Science, NBU,
Dr. Ratin Bandyopadhyay, Department of Law, NBU,
Dr. Indira Lepcha, Department of Geography, NBU,
Smt. Dalia Bhattacharya, Department of History, NBU, and
Dr. S.N Saha, AAO, NBU.