| ENLIGHTENMENT TO ERFECTION
High Energy & Cosmic Ray Research Centre
About || Courses || Facilities || Research Profiles || Scientists/Officers || Staff || Events || Downloads|| Contact Us
About the Centre:
The Centre has been established in 1991 jointly by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and the State Government of West Bengal under the program “Improvement of Research in the Universities”. The Centre is engaged in theoretical and experimental advanced research in different branches of High Energy Astrophysics and Astroparticles including Cosmic-Rays . The Centre has expertise on cosmic rays and Monte Carlo Simulation study of cosmic ray air shower which is globally recognized by the experts in the field. Research Scholars from different universities and even premier Research Institute of the Country visited the Centre to get training on the mentioned subjects.
The Centre offered PhD program till 2014.
The Scientists of the Centre also participated in the courses offered by the following Departments till 2014-15 session:
- M.Sc. in Mathematics;
- M.Sc. in Physics
New Program: The centre received a post M.Sc. PG diploma course in Space Science under UGC innovative program and got two teaching posts as well as about Rs.60 lakhs towards instruments and other expenditures.
- Major Instruments with the Centre: 35 Plastic Scintillation detectors, Cosmic ray EAS data acquisition system, CGEM 1100 telescope, Gamma ray MCA, Weather station, VHE Oscilloscope.
- Workstation, data analysis software for High Energy Physics, x-ray and gamma ray astronomy, Cosmic ray simulation packages.
- Major Research Project: DST(India)
- Origin of the knee in the Cosmic Ray Energy Spectrum’. Fund Received: Rs.10,95,840/-
- Research publications:
- Total publications in reputed International Journals during last ten years (2006 to 2016) - 34
- Total publications in proceedings of International Conferences - 12,
- Total publications as chapters in a book - 7
- The number of Book(s) published by the Scientists - 1 (edited)
- The quality of Publications from the Centre is reflected in Nature Index which is in the latest ranking is 1.67 (both fractional Count (FC) and weighted FC (WFC)) of the Centre. The same for the University is 2.19 (FC) and 1.77(WFC) which is ranked 49thbased on FC and 52ndbased on WFC among the Universities and Research Institutions of the Country.
- The scientists of the Centre published a few important and new works/discoveries in reputed journals which include:
- The contribution of nearby pulsars to cosmic rays observed at Earth was estimated theoretically for the first time (Astropart Phys. 2006).
- Discovery of the phenomenon Gravitational time advancement (GRG 2010, Eur Phys. J C 2015).
- From Monte Carlo simulation studies it is shown for the first time that the lateral density distribution of electrons in cosmic ray EAS displays universality when expressed in terms of local age parameters (J. Phys. G 12).
- The testable upper limit on the size of the galaxies has been predicted under conformal gravity theory (PRL, 2012).
- The confrontation of Higgs scalar with General relativity was demonstrated for the first time (CQG 2008).
- Cosmological influence on gravitational bending of light (PRD 2010).
- New model of Cosmic Ray origin (RAA 2015)
- Develop a new analogues Newtonian potential that describes all the weak field tests of GR (ApJ 2016
- Linkage: The Centre has close linkage with several premier research institutes of the country (TIFR, Bose Institute, SINP, IUCAA, SNBNCBS).
- National Collaboration:
- GRAPES experiment : An International Project on Cosmic Ray Physics, run by researchers from TIFR, Mumbai, Osaka University (Japan)
- Cosmic ray studies at high altitude in Darjeeling with Bose Institute, Kolkata
- International Collaboration:
- With Prof. J.N.Capdevielle, Univ. Paris.-Diderot,Bt. Condorcet, 10 rue Alice Domon 75205 Paris Cedex 13 France.
||Helper Gr. II
- Seminar/Conference program arranged: The Centre regularly organized seminar/Conference/special lectures. The Centre organized five (7) conferences ,two (2) Workshops, and several Special Lectures/Seminars during the period 2006-2016 with the support of UGC, NBU and IUCAA. Outstanding participants include Professor J. Knapp, Chairman, Cosmic Ray Commision of IUPAP (2011-2013), Dr. E. Christian of NASA, USA, Professor Andreas Haungs, Karlsruhe InstitutefürTechnologie, Karlsruhe, Germany, Professor J. N. Capdevielle of University of Paris 7, France, Dr. Paolo Camarri, INFN, Italy, Dr. Srinivasan, Former Chairman, DAE, Dr.Bikash Sinha, HomiBhabha Professor of DAE, (VECC), Professor S. Raha, Director of Bose Institute, Professor N. K. Dadhich, Former Director, IUCAA, Professor B. S. Acharya, Chiarman, High Energy Physics Division, TIFR, Professor B. Paul of RRI, Bangalore, Professor S. K. Gupta, High Energy Physics Division, TIFR, Professor A. N. Ramprakash, IUCAA, Professor D. Majumdar, SINP, Professor A. S. Majumdar of SNBNCBS, Professor G. Majumdar of TIFR, Prof. P. Joardar of Bose Institute, Professor K. Boruah of Gauhati University, Professor S. Ghosh of Bose Institute and several others.
- Public Outreach program: The Centre regularly organize Sky watch program. Besides Scientists published a few scientific articles in local languages, and delivered lectures in Science Centre and other similar places. Also the scientists acted as experts in science fair.
The Scientists also guided INSPIRE fellowship holders (during their B.Sc.) for their summer projects at the Centre.
Department Address: High Energy & Cosmic Ray Research Centre, Univ. of North Bengal, Raja Rammounpur, PO-N.B.U., Dist-Darjeeling, West Bengal, Pin-734013, India.